Saturday, November 26, 2011

sabbath in jerusalem

Sabbath in Jerusalem is the best! Today was the primary program and it was so sweet. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a primary program. Kids are so incredible in their faith. We have a lot we can learn from them.
After church I went to the Garden Tomb. That is one of the best places I can go to feel the spirit. The grounds are just so beautiful and the people are so nice that it’s really easy to feel close to the Savior. One cool thing I learned today while at the Garden Tomb was that the stone was not rolled away to let the Savior out, it was to let us know that He had risen. That was something I had never thought about before. You learn cool things like that when you eavesdrop on other group’s tours ☺


On our way to the Garden Tomb we were walking on a busy street and my purse was kind of behind me. It’s an ugly purse that I bought for Jerusalem because it has lots of clasps and zippers so I thought it would be a less likely target for pick-pocketers. Well I felt someone touching my purse and I thought it was my friend that was behind me, but when I looked back there was a man that had un-clasped my purse. I called him out and saw that he was holding a phone in his hand so I grabbed it and realized it wasn’t mine so I checked my purse to make sure he hadn’t taken anything and gave him his phone back. I was really proud of myself for how I reacted. You don’t mess with this girl!
I had another funny experience at the Garden Tomb today. I was sitting listening to music and writing in my journal when a man came up to me and started video taping me. It wasn’t super weird because people always video tape and take pictures of us since we’re American, but this was a little strange because he was standing there for an awkwardly long amount of time. He was right up close to my face so I asked him where he was from. He said he was from France and then finally walked away. But he just kept staring and smiling at me. He was down at the tomb for probably 15 minutes and kept taking so many pictures of me. He was way more obsessed with the American girl than the site he was at. It was just very strange. (Don’t worry Dad, I was with boys and they were keeping an eye on him for me.) Oh the things you experience when you’re a young American girl in Israel…
Elder Larry Kacher, the area authority for the Middle East and Northern Africa, gave a fireside for us tonight and it was sooo good! Him and his wife spoke and they were both so sweet. I didn’t want it to end! I love how strong the Spirit is here in Jerusalem, and even more so here in the Jerusalem Center. It’s an incredible place and I am so grateful to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment